Following their inspiring 3-2 win over co-hosts Australia in their second group game of the Women’s World Cup, Nigeria defender, Osinachi Ohale, has revealed how the Falcons absorbed the pressure from the Maltidas despite conceding first in front of a packed Lang Park in Brisbane.

Ohale was named the Player of The Match after topping a decent shift at the back with the second goal for Nigeria during the tense game.

Emily van Egmond scored to give Australia the lead late in the first half, but Nigeria responded before halftime through Uchenna Kanu to level score at 1-1 going into the break.

Ohale was in the right place at the right time to bury Nigeria’s second goal and Asisat Oshoala added the third before Alanna Kennedy pulled one back for Australia in stoppage time.

The veteran defender, while fielding questions after the game, evoked the motivation of the team and likened the atmosphere to what the Falcons had faced in previous tournaments.

“When we conceded, we knew it was a mistake and we pushed. Everyone did exactly what we said and the moment we equalised, it was the way we wanted the half to end and the belief was there for us to finish it off in the second half,” the Houston Dash woman stated.

“We knew coming to the World Cup, we have to make it count and make a name because we have qualified for every edition of the tournament. It’s not going to be as usual, so we have to step up and show the world what we can, and that’s what played out in our first game and this one. Everyone wants to play and showcase what we have and what we can do.”

The 31-year-old played all minutes of the game despite apparently suffering a knock while she scored Nigeria’s second goal and confirmed she was fine after the game.

“I think I’m okay. I’m fine, thank you,” Ohale said.

The Falcons are currently first in Group D on goal difference and a draw in their last game against the Republic of Ireland on Monday July 31 will be enough to see them through to the next round.

Nigeria’s best finish at the Women’s World Cup was reaching the quarter-finals in 1999.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *