Forest seize first-leg advantage at Sheff Utd

1 week ago 46

Nottingham Forest took a significant step towards reaching the Championship play-off final as a dominant display helped them to a 2-1 semi-final first-leg win over Sheffield United.

Jack Colback took advantage of an ill-timed slip from Ben Osborn to fire Steve Cooper's men in front (10), before Blades captain John Egan was caught in possession by Joe Lolley, allowing Brennan Johnson to fire in an crucial, ice cold second (71).

Brennan Johnson scored Forest's crucial second goal at Bramall Lane

Image: Brennan Johnson scored Forest's crucial second goal at Bramall Lane

But just as hope looked to be fading for United, they pulled one back in second-half stoppage time, as Sander Berge bundled the ball over the line, despite replays suggesting Jack Robinson handled the ball before doing the midfielder did so (90+1).

On Tuesday night at the City Ground, the teams will go to battle once more - in a game live on Sky Sports Football - for a place at Wembley on Sunday May 29.

Tuesday 17th May 7:30pm Kick off 7:45pm

Sky Sports FootballSky Sports Football

    How Cooper's Reds took a step towards Wembley

    As South Yorkshire basked in temperatures of over 20 degrees, there was a party atmosphere at Bramall Lane, as the journey to Wembley began for two of the giants of the second tier.

    In his programme notes, Paul Heckingbottom called upon the Blades fans to "understand how important the role they have in what we are trying to achieve is" and they responded as expected, creating a deafening cauldron of noise that clearly spurred the players on to an encouraging start.

    Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

    Jack Colback was on hand to put Nottingham Forest ahead against Sheffield United in their first-leg encounter

    It was nearly rewarded early on, too, when Sander Berge was bundled to the deck as he attacked a free-kick, though referee Andre Marriner quickly indicated that he would be taking no further action. But within seconds, Forest took the lead.

    Time seemed to stand still for a moment, as Joe Worrall's speculative aerial ball found Sam Surridge, who squared for Philip Zinckernagel. Ben Osborn lost his footing, the Dane had a shot saved by Wes Foderingham, but Colback was on hand to bail out his team-mate and find the net.

    Sheffield United came close to drawing level when John Egan's powerful, goalbound header was headed off the line by Surridge, but it was all Forest for the remainder of the half - they could quite fathomably have scored two or three more goals.

    Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

    Brennan Johnson put Nottingham Forest 2-0 ahead versus Sheffield United in the first leg of their Championship play-off clash

    High-risk defending from the hosts allowed Johnson to drive into the box from halfway to sting the Blades goalkeeper's palms, before Ryan Yates nodded wide unmarked. Foderingham then made a crucial save to deny Surridge from close-range, before clawing Johnson's header away seconds later.

    Though United were less vulnerable on the counter after the break, and their attacks became more coherent, time after time their finishing left plenty to be desired, while Brice Samba able to make numerous simple catches from crosses into the box.

    And they were architects of their own downfall midway through the second half, when Egan was too slow to react to Lolley's run, with the substitute able to get a shot away that was deflected into the path of Johnson, who finished coolly.

    The hosts did, however, find a way to halve the deficit in the closing minutes, when Berge forced the ball over the line to renew Blades hopes ahead of Tuesday's second leg.

    What's next?

    The play-off semi-final second leg will take place at the City Ground on Tuesday May 17, live on Sky Sports Football; Kick off 7.45pm. The winner will face either Huddersfield or Luton in the play-off final at Wembley on Sunday May 29.

    google maps widget html