The Chairman, Ekiti State Universal Basic Education Board, Prof Femi Akinwumi, has threatened that the board will blacklist any contactor who fails to deliver awarded projects to specification.
Akinwumi said such contractors would also be made to refund all the money collected from the board for such projects.
The SUBEB chairman, who spoke in Ado Ekiti on Friday at the bid opening ceremony for Universal Basic Education Commission/SUBEB 2022 intervention projects, stressed that the board would ensure strict compliance with UBEC guidelines and Procurement Act in contract award and projects monitoring.
He listed the projects billed for execution in public primary and junior secondary schools across the state to include “construction and renovation of blocks of classrooms, perimeter fences, water system toilets with deep wells, boreholes with generator, overhead tanks and procurement of furniture items for teachers and pupils.”
He urged the contractors “to abide by the project execution processes so that government’s vision to provide conducive teaching and learning environment in all public schools in the state can be realised.”
Akinwumi said, “If you all recall, Governor Biodun Oyebanji, earlier this year, approved the payment of over N1.2bn counterpart funds to UBEC to cover the 2022 matching grants to the commission. It is this singular move of the governor that laid the foundation for today’s event.
“For the avoidance of doubt, today’s occasion clearly underscores the policy of Governor Oyebanji to consolidate and build on the successes recorded from October 2018 to 2022 by the immediate-past administration of Dr Kayode Fayemi in the basic education sector in the state.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]