In the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, Nigeria faced off against Group B favourites and reigning Olympic champion, Canada, at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium in Australia in the early hours of Friday.
Aside from the match ending in a scoreless draw, here are 10 interesting facts to know about it.
1 . In comparison to the previous two games, the match saw a more eventful display, with two yellow cards and one red card shown.
2. Leading the charge for Canada was the seasoned powerhouse forward Christine Sinclair, 40, who boasts an impressive record of 190 goals and over 300 caps throughout her illustrious 22-year career.
3. On the opposing side, Nigeria had star defender Onome Ebi, also aged 40, taking charge. Both Sinclair and Ebi made their sixth World Cup appearance, showcasing their experience and talent on the international stage.
4. Goalkeeper, Chiamaka Nnadozie turned the heroine of the match played in Brisbane after saving Christine Sinclair’s penalty early in the second half.
5. Falcons midfielder, Deborah Abiodun, was sent off late on in the game for a dangerous foul.
6. Both teams finished the first half creating no dangerous chance.
7. In the 23rd minute, the Nigerian ladies went close in search of the opener despite Canada’s early dominance when Ifeoma Onumonu had her well-taken shot parried away by goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan.
8. In the 98th minute, Abiodun was shown a straight card after consultation with VAR for a bad tackle on Ashley Lawrence.
9. The game had a high tempo and intense physicality throughout.
10. Barcelona forward Asisat Oshoala was unable to shine but the Nigerian defence gave away little against the attack of the team.